Utilita Energy run their Warm Home Discount slightly differently to other suppliers. Applications for the Utilita Warm Home Discount are open for 1 week only between the 11th and 18th of September 2023. If you do not submit an application within this 1-week window you will not be able to apply again until next year.
If your application is successful, you may receive £150 towards your winter energy costs. This will usually be paid over 2 months and will be split between your electricity and gas.
What is the Warm Home Discount?
The Warm Home Discount is a rebate of £150 you may be eligible to claim from your energy supplier. It’s a UK Government scheme obligating energy suppliers to provide assistance to customers who may need extra support to heat their homes during the cold winter months.
Last year the Warm Home Discount changed. The scheme will be ran separately in Scotland to the rest of the UK.
In England and Wales the scheme will now be automatic and you won’t need to apply.
You can find more information in our dedicated blog here.
How does it work?
If you receive Pension Credit you will be in the core group and should receive this automatically.
Otherwise, you will need to apply under the broader group criteria if you live in Scotland. Not all applications to the broader group will be successful. Utilita will randomly select a number of applicants to receive the discount. This process has been approved by Ofgem.
If you received the Warm Home Discount last year you’ll usually be guaranteed to get it this year as long as you apply again. Any remaining allocations will be randomly given to the rest of the applications. Unfortunately, this means not everyone who will apply will receive the support.
What is the broader group criteria?
To be eligible for the Warm Home Discount, you will need to qualify for ONE of the Main Benefits and ONE of the Sub-elements.
You may apply for the Warm Home Discount if you meet Utilita’s Broader group criteria below. If you receive one of the main benefits and one of the sub-elements, you can apply to receive the discount. The main benefits are:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Work-related activity group
- Housing Benefit
- Income-related employment and support allowance, which includes a support component
- Child tax credit because your annual household income is less than £18,723
- Universal credit and an earned income of less than £1,561 in at least one
assessment period since a specified date.
The sub-elements are:
- Responsibility for a child under the age of five who lives with you
- Child tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
- A disabled child premium
- A disability premium, enhanced disability premium, or severe disability premium
- A pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium, or enhanced pensioner premium
Or if you receive universal credit as your main benefit, the sub-elements are:
- You receive the limited capability for work element
- You receive the disabled child elements
- You have responsibility for a child under the age of five who lives with you
How to Apply
You can apply on your smartphone using the ‘My Utilita’ App or online.
You can also find the online application here.
Finding your customer reference number
You will need your customer reference number to complete an application or register for the app, if you don’t know it you can find it on their website by using your top-up card number here.
You can also call Utilita on 0330 3337 442.
Need a hand?
Would you like some more advice on applying for the Warm Home Discount? Cosy Kingdom is a free and impartial energy advice service available to everyone living in Fife.
Our energy advisors can be contacted by:
- Calling 01592 807930
- Texting COSY then YOUR NAME to 88440
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request advice online