Waste Water, Waste Energy
Each person living in Scotland uses on average, 150 litres of water every single day.
In Scotland, we tend to take water for granted and we tend to not think about how much water we use. Surprisingly, however, less than 1% of rainwater ends up somewhere Scottish Water can access. It’s not as plentiful as you might think.
While we are not metered for our water in Scotland, there is a cost associated with it. Around 1/5th of the average household energy bill is spent on heating water, so using your water wisely can help cut your energy costs as well as reducing the water you use.
- When washing your hands instead of leaving the tap running, fill the basin with the water you need. Don’t leave the tap running when you brush your teeth either!
- Showers use less water than baths, so will help save on your energy costs too. Try and limit how long you’re in the shower – usually 4-5 minutes is enough. If each family member did this, you could save up to £10 each on energy bills every year.
- If you enjoy a good cuppa, don’t fill the kettle more than you need to. Using enough for one cup will help save energy and water. It was also reported by the chairman of the Tea and Infusions Association, that boiling the same water more than once removes the oxygen and nitrogen and results in a poor cup of tea. So there are three reasons not to do it!
- Boiling pasta or cooking veg? Don’t fill the pan more than you need to. Not only is it a waste of water, but the fuller the pan the longer it’ll take to boil and the more energy it’ll use.
- Don’t let your money run down the sink – when washing up, use a basin. Leaving a hot water tap running wastes energy and water. You could save up to £30 a year by filling a basin instead.
How you use your washing machine is important, wait till the washing machine is full before you use it instead of doing several small loads throughout the day. You should also set the temperature to 30°c – this can save 40% on energy used each year.
Water Efficiency Gadgets
To help you use water in your home more efficiently, Scottish Water are giving out useful water efficiency gadgets, from shower aerators to garden hose guns, you can request yours here.
Energy Efficiency Advice
Are you interested in finding more ways to save energy at home? We offer free and impartial home energy advice visits throughout Fife. Our advisors can visit you in the comfort of your home to provide tailored advice. This can help you stay warm and reduce your energy bills. You can request a visit by booking through our website or calling us on 01592 858458.